Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Visits and decisions

We welcomed another wonderful visitor in Roquebrune last week: my mom. She came to visit us prior to a trip to Helsinki. Apparently she bragged to her friends about soaking up some southern french sun before heading off to the freezing temperatures of Finland, but unfortunately she spoke too soon. The weather made a drastic change for the worse, and she arrived to cold clouds and rain (and a tiny bit of snow). It was a great visit, nonetheless. My mom definitely took it upon herself to spoil us as much as possible. We even spent two nights in Nice, where we were thrilled to have a sauna and a bathtub in the hotel (since we're still lacking hot water in our apartment in Roquebrune).
A delicious warm meal in Menton

Fromage blanc with black currants. So good.

Trapped under some luggage on our way to Nice.


At least she got a little bit of sunshine :-)

I'm pretty sure all we did in Nice was eat amazing food and drink amazing wine.


Foie gras.




I finally got some Moules-frites, a regional specialty. 

The market, of course.

Moving on to some major updates...

Magali and I have decided to move on from Roquebrune-Cap-Martin. It's a beautiful town, and probably an amazing place to visit in warm weather, but we both feel ready to leave. So, the exciting part for me now is that I get to travel! Katrina (in Bourg-St-Andeol) gets two weeks of vacation this month, and here's our plan: we're going to meet up in Lyon (where we first met :-) ), then join some other assistants from her program in Prague, take a bus down to Budapest, fly to London, and then fly back to Lyon to part ways. We'll be spending four nights in each city, and afterwards I'll head off to Helsinki, Finland for about a week before returning home. I've purchased most of my flights and we've booked about half of our hostels so far; I'm thrilled! It'll be an interesting experience to travel Europe in winter (I've always traveled Europe in summer). On a side note, I'm very excited to come home to Arizona at the best time of year.

Random photos of our last week in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin and Menton:
No photoshopping/editing, the water is this blue (the rain made it look even less blue/clear, actually)


We should've come here in the summer...




Freezing while we wait for pizza.
Our weekly drink at Mel's Pub with Christian, a wonderful friend we made in  Roquebrune.

No comments:

Post a Comment